[DRBD-user] drbd related scsi-errrors?

Bernd Schubert bernd-schubert at web.de
Mon May 17 17:12:06 CEST 2004

Hello,

I'm pretty new to drbd and we are currently setting up a new server, so I have
not so much experience with drbd.

Well, last week we observed some strange scsi-errors during a synchronization
with the failover server. Here are some more details:

main server:
	- connected with a transtec 5008 scsi/ide raid system
	- three partitions (240GB out of 2 TB) are connected via drbd to a failover
server

failover server:
	- 250 GB ide disk

The synchronization is initiated by setting down the network between both
systems, stopping drbd on the server, setting eth2 up again and finally
restarting drbd.

Here are some funny results when the scsi errors happen:

        - With my original drbd configuration this only happens when all 3
partions are synchronized simultaneously. During a synchronizion of only one
or two partitions it doesn't happen.

        - When I set the maximum synchronization speed of two partitions to
only 5MB/s and leave the third maximum speed at 100MB/s, it also doesn't
happen.

        - After scratching my head for a while and overthinking the problem, I
had the idea that the scsi-errors might occur due to the nice value of -18
for the synchronization processes (suggested drbd-configuration value). So I
went ahead and set this value to -5, which makes the scsi-errors also
disappear.

Any thoughts about it? I'm also in contact with Justin T. Gibbs (the adaptec
scsi maintainer).

Thanks,
	Bernd

PS: drbd is 0.6.12

--
Bernd Schubert
Physikalisch Chemisches Institut / Theoretische Chemie
e-mail: bernd.schubert at pci.uni-heidelberg.de