[DRBD-user] DRBD+Heartbeat +MySQL

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri May 14 23:33:01 CEST 2004

/ 2004-05-14 22:36:36 +0400
\ Eugene Crosser:
> On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 22:14, Jurgen Schoeters wrote:
>
> > I have a few questions about DRBD and a Mysql database running on
> > /dev/nb0.
> > What happens with locked tables from the Mysql Database when a failover
> > happens?
> > What happens with the database data in the cache-memory of the processor
> > that has been modified but not been written to the harddisk, isn't this
> > a serious problem ?
>
> While it could be possible to use DRBD for mysql data replication, it
> probably makes much more sense to use mysql native data replication
> mechanics and omit DRBD alltogether...

if you care for transactional semantics, but you don't use a shared
storage (I consider DRBD proto C as such), or you don't use
transaction cabable tables, or you don't use "flush tables" where
apropriate, you are out of luck, native MySQL replication won't cut it.

otherwise, i.e. if losing some of the most recent updates is not a
serious problem, native MySQL replication should be the way to go,
this is probably much better performance wise...

	Lars Ellenberg