AW: [DRBD-user] Some weird behaviour

Martin Bene martin.bene at icomedias.com
Thu May 13 08:17:25 CEST 2004

Hi,

> resource drbd0 {
>   protocol = C
>   fsckcmd  = /bin/true
>   inittimeout=-10

Eep, what are you doing here? With this inittimeout you don't give drbd
sufficient time to connect with the 2nd node before trying to continue
startup on ist own.

If you use inittimeout, it should be as a last resort kind of thing with
a timeout of -600 or something similar - this will still allow your
system to start if just one system comes up after a power fail.

However, if at all possible you should give drbd the chance to connect
to the other box on startup so it can make the correct decision on where
the newest data is located and in which direction to sync.

> If so, does it make any sense to set a (heartbeat) script to write a
byte
> to the DRBD, each time it switches to Primary?

NO. Drbd already has the information needed to decide which node has the
best data - you're just not giving it the time to actually connect and
make that decision.

At a guess this short inittimeout is also the caus for the
"predetermined states are in contradiction to GC's" Messages: The box
that used to be secondary decided to start on ist own because of
inittimeout and subsequently was made primary be heartbeat, thus causing
the message when the former primary connected.

Bye, Martin
Martin Bene,                 CTO
icomedias GmbH,              A-8020 Graz, Entenplatz 1b
t +43 (316) 721671-271       f +43 (316) 721671-103
e martin.bene at icomedias.com, i http://www.icomedias.com