[DRBD-user] using drbd in a monolithic kernel?

Kees Cook kees at osdl.org
Thu Mar 25 18:30:50 CET 2004

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 02:37:00PM +0100, Philipp Reisner wrote:
> This way it is a lot easier of the maintainer of the debian package [as far
> as I understand this...]
>
> When a monolithic kernel is build, the two header file are moved to
> include/linux/ .
> Also in that case it is possible to build the userspace tools without
> the out-of-kernel-free module sources, since the include files are in
> ~linux/include/linux .

Okay, cool.  I'll take it into consideration when I write the kernel
patcher.

> +# ifndef MODULE
>  // defined in drbd_main.c,
>  // copied from redhat's kernel-2.4.20-13.9 kernel/signal.c
>  // to avoid a recompile of the redhat kernel
>  inline void recalc_sigpending_tsk(struct task_struct *t);
> +# endif
>
> What is the intention of this chunk ?

Wow.  I have no idea at all.  I swear I needed this to build monolithic.
digging...   oh, I see.  This was an early attempt to solve the problem,
but I later solved it in drbd_main.c differently.  Looks like this
statement had no effect on my build.

however, for completeness, it should be as you suggest:

> # ifdef MODULE
>    ^^

Which leaves it up to the kernel headers to define that interface when
building monolithic.

Thanks for putting up with my messy patches!  :)

--
Kees Cook
Open Source Development Lab
kees at osdl.org