[DRBD-user] drbd and lvm

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Fri Mar 19 23:04:33 CET 2004

Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> So you need to plan a downtime to upgrade 0.6 -> 0.7 later this year.
> If you plan to deploy some new 0.6 based cluster now, and
> expect to upgrade once 0.7 is settled, you should prepare
> for the persistent bitmap and metadata.
> 0.7 needs 128MB stable storage for persistant bitmap and metadata
> per device, either at the end of the lower level device, or within
> some other dedicated block device.
> You can have all your DRBDs share one dedicated partition for the
> metadata, provided it is large enough.
Question: does it need to be a raw partition or can it just be space inside
one of the file systems on a DRBD device?

on my system I have one partition that is used for the /var/lib/nfs stuff and
perhaps in the future some NIS files but on the whole I am realizing I made it
way bigger than needed for just nfs.
/dev/nb0              3.7G   33M  3.5G   1% /nfsstate
lets see 7 DRBD devices * 128MB =~896MB... yep enough space but is it the
right type?

Also, after changing to 0.7.? on both nodes will we need to restore from a
backup or, will the physical partition content layout be the same?

Todd Denniston