[DRBD-user] Possible to force QuickSync?

Philipp Reisner philipp.reisner at linbit.com
Mon Mar 15 15:19:31 CET 2004

Am Donnerstag, 11. März 2004 15:55 schrieb Brandon Laing:
> Hello list,
>
> I'm wondering if there is any way to skip doing a FullSync after making a
> minor change to the config file. In my specific case, I have my 2 machines
> set up on a local network currently, and they work fine. Very shortly
> though, one of the machines will be going to a remote location, which means
> of course that the IP will be changing. In a test here, I changed the IP
> addresses (only) on both machines, 1 at a time. Upon reconnection, they
> immediately start a Full Sync again. It takes almost 4 hours to do it on a
> LAN... it would take many days to do it over a T1 line (partitions are
> about 140GB). And no data has changed! So, I'm curious to know if there is
> anything that can be done to avoid this and just do a Quick Sync instead.
>
> This is for DRBD 0.6.12 running on Fedora Core systems. Thanks in advance
> for any advice.

No there is no way to force a QuickSync. ( If we had it, its name
would be --shoot-myself-into-the-foot )

The trick to get a QuickSync is to
1) make both sides secondary
2) disconnect / powercycle / change ipadresses etc...
3) let them connect again.

In other words: You will get a FullSync if a primary node
"disappears" unexpectedly.

-Philipp