[DRBD-user] DRBD setup issues on 2 Fedora systems

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut.wollmersdorfer at gmx.at
Wed Mar 3 21:25:37 CET 2004

> And just to make sure I'm thinking about things right, if I wanted to have
> everything under 1 folder be replicated to the second machine, to do that
> I'd have to have that folder be on it's own partition, correct?

Yes.

> If
> /dev/sda1 is my boot partition, and /dev/sda2 is my root partition, I'd
> need to make a third one that I wanted to be replicated then?

Yes, e.g. /dev/sda3

> I'm trying
> to make sure I'm only copying what I need, while also trying to avoid
> running into any "Lower device is already mounted" errors. Does the
> partition I want to use for this need to be taken out of the fstab file so
> it's not mounted on bootup for drbd to start up properly?

You never should mount the low level device (in your example /dev/sda3)
directly while the partition is under control of DRBD.
Instead do
    # mount /dev/nb0 /yourdirectory (e.g. /mnt/nb0)

> Sorry for the newbie questions.. I've looked through the docs and list
> archives, but I haven't found any answers to these questions.

Have a look on http://www.drbd.org and you will find a HOWTO, FAQ, articles
etc. It could be better understandable for newbies, that's true. As a newbie
you are the ideal person to find such parts in the documentation. Please
collect them and write down. Only a few words of improvement can save other
newbies hours in the future.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer