[DRBD-user] MAKEDEV: don't know what "drbd" is

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Mar 1 16:10:41 CET 2004

/ 2004-03-01 10:57:33 +0100
\ Helmut Wollmersdorfer:
> Hi,
>
> don't know, if this is an error or a feature;-)

> Kernel 2.4.24 patched with epia1
> drbd from drbd-source 0.6.10-3.deb
>
> First I got
> ---------------
> root at via2:/usr/src# /etc/init.d/drbd status
>
>   '/dev/nb0' is not a block device
>   stopped at /etc/init.d/drbd (get_drbd_status) line 1321.
>
>   CVSID Id: drbd,v 1.49 2003/12/10 10:48:15 phil Exp
>   BASH_VERSINFO (2 05b 0 1 release i386-pc-linux-gnu)
>
>   If you feel this script is buggy, please report to
>   Lars Ellenberg <l.g.e at web.de>, drbd-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
>
> so I did
> -----------------
> root at via2:/dev# cd /dev ; ./MAKEDEV -n -v update
> ./MAKEDEV: don't know what "drbd" is
>
> this works:
> --------------
> root at via2:/dev# cd /dev ; ./MAKEDEV  -v nb0
> create nb0      b 43 0 root:disk 0660
>
> Question: Is it necessary to do MAKEDEV manually?

You can also use mknod directly :)

Error or feature?
Neither, its "ignorance" on the MAKEDEV side ...
My MAKEDEV does not know about and some other stuff either.
create a patch and submit it to MAKEDEV upstream...

> All the DRBD related HOWTOs do not write about this.
Point taken, should be improved.
# cd /dev ; for i in `seq 1 8`; do mknod nb$i b 43 $i ; done
Maybe we even add this to the make intall target?

> Or is there something wrong in my configuration?
Nope.

?

> Maybee I mixed DRBD components. First try was precompiled drbd-0.6.10-3.deb,
> which did not work with my kernel (no surprise;-). After uninstall I tried
> 0.6.11 but instructions on www.drbd.org did not work for me. At least
> compiling 0.6.10 worked.

Completely off track here. If version of driver changed block
device major, this would be very odd.

> Again: How check a version mix systematically?
By install date/ctime/mtime/md5sum/cmp.
In short: Don't.  Remove and reinstall.

	Lars Ellenberg