[DRBD-user] Kernel Oops, RH9.0, 2.4.20-19.9

Tim Hasson tim at aidasystems.com
Mon Jun 14 21:24:31 CEST 2004

Quoting Lars Ellenberg <Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com>,
on Mon, 14 Jun 2004 09:40:47 +0200:

> your NIC is broken and cannot stand the load of a drbd full sync anymore.
> I bet you can crash that box by just running a
>  netcat -l -p 7777 > /dev/null < /dev/null # on drbd2
> and do a
>  netcat drbd2 7777 < /dev/zero     # from drbd1 or any other box...

I think you've nailed it!

I have seen messages during init, such as:

Optical Link Up # then
Optical Link down
# (then little pause)
Optical Link UP # then init would continue fine

One time yesterday after reboot from the over a day freeze, it got stuck in init
at "Starting eth1"

eth1 is a newly purchased Netgear GA620T Gigabit NIC.

drbd1 has the same exact card, purchased both together.

The reason why I liked these cards is because they claimed they can do 2000Mbps
in Full Duplex Mode (Send/Receive)

They did very well in my setup, mirroring two 37GB Drives (two 35GB Partitions)
from drbd1 to two identical drives in drbd2.

The total time taken to mirror both drives simultaneously is 24 Minutes.

I think that is amazing. This is why I love drbd..

I think it even has more potential, because drbd1 only has a Ultra80 scsi
controller, while drbd2 has ultra160. I might upgrade drbd1 after I get drbd2
back up.

I will have my friend temporarily take out the gigabit card in question and put
in a 3com or realtek 10/100 nic to test with.

Is there any particular Gigabit Card/Chipset that you recommend using with
drbd?

Thanks.

Tim