[DRBD-user] Minor not found

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut.wollmersdorfer at gmx.at
Sat Jun 12 14:12:37 CEST 2004

Lars Ellenberg schrieb:

> well, but minors from 2 upwards don't show up in _/proc/drbd_ unless you
> load the module with a minor_count=3 (or more. default is 2) .
> the drbd script does this.

BTW: How much memory is wasted, if I define e.g. minor_count=4 but only
define/start 3 DRBD-resources? If the influence on memory, cpu, latency
etc. is neglectable, then the admin should take care, that minour_cont
in drbd.conf equals number of /dev/nbX and at insmod.

> but maybe you (or some other script, or module auto load mechanism)
> load the drbd module already *before* the drbd start script is executed,
> and do *not* probide the minor_count parameter.

I wonder, who or what shall do this.
Here:
# cat /etc/debian_version
testing/unstable

Installation of drbd-0.6.12-5 was straight ahead the "debian-way"
- apt-get install drbd
- apt-get install drbd-source
- make-kpkg modules-clean
- make-kpkg modules_image
- dpkg -i drbd-modules-2.4.24-epia1_0.6.12-5+10.00.Custom_all.deb
- update-modules

# cat /etc/modules.conf | grep drbd
[nothing found]
# cat /etc/modules.conf | grep major-43
[nothing found]

Same is true for all other files, that can be involved:
/lib/modules/modprobe.conf | grep drbd
/etc/modprobe.d/aliases
/etc/modprobe.d/arch/i386
/etc/modprobe.d/arch/generic

/lib/modules/extra/kernel
/lib/modules/extra/modules.dep

> either you can track that down, and give the parameter there explicitly.
> or you can try if adding an options line in /etc/modules.conf does the
> trick for you:

>  # maybe this disables the autoload, and gives the start script a chance:
>   alias block-major-43 off
>  # otherwise, this maybe solves the problem:
>   alias block-major-43 drbd
>   options drbd minor_count=27 # or =3 or =42 ...

Editing /etc/modules.conf manually is not a good idea. Better create or
change a file in /etc/modprobe.d/ confirming to "man update-modules".
But best way will be, find the reason, why this happens. Better let the
DRBD-scripts do the things.

Herlmut Wollmersdorfer