[DRBD-user] Questions

crisen at tiscali.co.uk crisen at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Jun 2 14:32:49 CEST 2004

Hello there,

Great work on drdb mail-listings, keep it up! Actually, I went to have a
look because I'm planning to set up drdb/hearbeat on 2 nodes this weekend.
This is my first experiment with drdb/hb but I am hoping that everything
works so they will become my SME's production servers. However, I am unsure
of several things ... could anyone give me some pointers before I begin?

Configuration: PDC and BDC running on SuSE 9.1 Prof on x86; PDC with 2 drives
on hardware raid 1, 4 100 Mbit cards (2 on crossover, 2 on LAN); 120 GB
drives; BDC on simpler config (no raid).The machines will be running Samba
3, DHCP, DNS, HTTP and FTP intranet (not externally exposed), email and
print servers, etc. The idea is to totally replace a W2K server.

Q: Will drdb work on the SuSE 2.6x kernel? I can't find reference to this
on SuSE's pages.
Q: Does drdb support the above services? I.e. should the PDB fail would
the BDC takeover all of these roles, for example allowing user logins, enabling
samba shares and IP address serving?
Q: If so, in what order should I do things: First build an entire machine
and then install and run drdb, or install the OS first with the drdb and
then the rest?
Q: What should I mirror? Can I mirror the whole drive? In one of the FAQ
(http://lists.linbit.com/pipermail/drbd-user/2004-January/000014.html) Lars
wrote that some directories should not be included. If that's so, does anybody
have a list of what should/should not?
Q: Should I use rsync instead, or in addition to drdb, for any non-mirrored
directories?
Q. Given the above tasks, should I be looking at sticking in gigabit adapters
on crossover instead?

Any help given is much appreciated! If there's something else I missed,
please also let me know.

Kind regards,

Enrico Tebaldi

Broadband from an unbeatable £15.99!