[DRBD-user] mke2fs not working

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Jul 27 21:24:12 CEST 2004

/ 2004-07-23 10:44:44 +1200
\ James Doherty:
> On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 22:07, Lars Ellenberg wrote:
>
> > you make it Primary first ?
> >
> > "To access the drbd, it has to be in Primary state."
> >
> >   :-/
> >
> > 	Lars Ellenberg
>
> Thanks for your help, looks like that was it. However when I try to run
> mke2fs I get this problem:
>
> Block size=1024 (log=0)
> Fragment size=1024 (log=0)
> 72288 inodes, 289138 blocks
> 14456 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
> First data block=1
> 36 block groups
> 8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group
> 2008 inodes per group
> Superblock backups stored on blocks:
>         8193, 24577, 40961, 57345, 73729, 204801, 221185
>
> Writing inode tables:  0/36
> Could not write 8 blocks in inode table starting at 6: Attempt to write
> block from filesystem resulted in short write
>
> Whats going on?

you most likely are using drbd-0.6, and did not include the disk-size
parameter in drbd.conf. since drbd can not yet know how big the peer may
be, it plays safe and announces "0" for the device size :)
if you tell it:
 "hey, I know, you have 4GB, and if that does not work, blame me..."
then it happily announces that 4GB, and you can mkfs.

for drbd-0.7 the issue is similar,
if this node has never seen the peer before.
It will start out with a device size of zero.
typically, uppon first connect, the minimum of the lower level device
sizes is used.
If there is no node just yet, you can initialise it with
 drbdsetup /dev/whatever resize --size 4G
this value will be stored in meta data.
either way, once it is in meta-data,
this will not happen again.

but be warned, use drbdsetup resize with care...
it can shoot your data (when there is some, already)

	Lars Ellenberg