[DRBD-user] inital setup question ... 0.7.0 plus linux 2.6.6

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed Jul 21 19:06:04 CEST 2004

/ 2004-07-21 16:47:16 +0000
\ Ron OHara:
> Hi Lars,
>
> (drbd-0.7.0 and linux 2.6.6)
>
> A question about initial setup ... I want to have a process for creating
> a standalone 'Primary' DRBD disk (dont ask why :-[ )
>
> So I build the first box of the cluster ... there is no data ... I just
> want to initialise a file system and be able to force this box to be the
> 'primary'.
>
> then:
>
> drbdadm up all
>
> drbdadm primary all
>
> and this complains because it is in WFConnection, Secodary/Unknown  :
> Invalid
> This is pretty much the expected state .. and I can force it to
> Standalone, but it still wont let me force it to Primary/Uknown so that
> I can mount the disk R/W and make a file system on it.
>
> Any ideas??

intentional behavior.
drbadm primary all should says something like
"Local replica is inconsistent (--do-what-I-say ?)"

so it already gives you that hint: it needs to be forced,
and you need to give it that additional option.

now, since it is not a drbdadm option, but a drbdsetup option,
you'd need to use drbsetup...
but drbdadm is able to pass options to drbdsetup:

USAGE: drbdadm [OPTION...] [-- DRBDSETUP-OPTION...] COMMAND {all|RESOURCE...}

so, what you actually want to do is
 drbdadm -- --do-what-I-say primary all
but you should be sure that you really mean what you say!

> Ron
> (PS: I'm deliberately building what starts life as a degraded cluster
> ..with later upgrade possible without reconfiguration)

sounds reasonable...

	Lars Ellenberg