[DRBD-user] Proper way to startup at boot?

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Jul 20 09:01:20 CEST 2004

/ 2004-07-20 01:15:13 -0500
\ John Lange:
> I'm starting to feel like I'm flooding the list here with all my
> problems... sorry.. I hope you will bare with me.
>
> drbd-0.6.12
>
> Slackware 9.2
>
> kernel 2.4.22
>
> I'm starting it at boot with an entry in /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
>
> /etc/rc.d/drbd start
>
> This is the drbd script that comes with the distribution.
>
> This works ok but the script stops the boot process with its "do you
> want to give up waiting and make this primary?". You have to type "yes"
> to get the rest of rc.local to run and get to a login prompt.

it blocks only until drbd "sees" the other node.
this is needed to ensure data integrity and avoid split brain
situations. you can trade integrity against availability and
play with the "inittimeout".

if they don't see each other, even though *you* know that both nodes are
up, then you have a problem anyways, and you should fix your setup.

you can also disable most of the functionality and safety net of that
script with the "load-only"...  but only do this if you really mean it.
if you don't know exactly what this is about, you risk data integrity.

	Lars Ellenberg