[DRBD-user] drbd vs GFS/GNDB

Steve M Bibayoff smb23 at csufresno.edu
Mon Jul 12 00:04:07 CEST 2004

Hello,

Lars Ellenberg <Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com> wrote:
/ 2004-07-02 20:15:55 +0200
\ Stefan Andersson:
> > Would it be possible to use GFS on top of DRBD to get write
> support at
> > both nodes? I.e. does drbd replicate writes at silas to paul?
>
> not yet. but GFS support is on our list.
> somewhen...
> depending on time, human resources, and cash-flow :)

Is anybody intimately familiar w/ both DRBD and GFS and knows
what would be involved to get both working together to get
write on both nodes working? I know this has been discussed
before, but this feature seems to get being pushed back.
Wasn't it stated at one time for inclusion into the 0.7
release?

I know this is a huge problem to solve. And I believe
Lars (sorry if I mis-attribute the email) wrote an email
awhile back describing the type of file locking and granduarity
needed to achieve this goal. Which went way over my head
and I couldn't think of any simple process to achieve
a solution to most of the problems.

On another thread, has anybody here know how much GFS
and OpenGFS merged? Are they still merge-able? Is one or
the other be better to be include w/ DRBD? (I know there
are better forums to ask this question, just thought
I start here as here is where the integration question could
be answered)

Please don't take anything I say here as a critiicism, or
negative statement. Currently DRBD is great at what it does.
I was mostly asking questions to see if anybody could predict
a timeline. I see this as a  *MAJOR* feature request that a
lot of people would like to see. And if there is something
within my skill set where I am able to help speed up this
process, I would be willing to contribute much of my own
personal time (at least whatever I have ;-) ) into achieving this.

Thank You

Steve