[DRBD-user] questions about sync rate

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Jul 6 13:05:16 CEST 2004

/ 2004-06-25 13:44:01 +0800
\ Paul Chen:
> Hi all,
>
> I am new to drb so I am not sure if the result I'm getting is really
> what it suppose to be. I have set up 2 identical systems using a
> customized redhat7.2, A and B. The only difference is that A has a
> 10gb hd and B has a 6gb hd. Redhat is installed on another hd. The
> thing that I was un-sure of is that when I started drbd in both
> system, the whole sync process took about 2 hr. Is it normal to take
> that long to sync a 5gb hd?
> speed is about 700~1000k/sec.
>
> CPU: 300 mhz
> RAM: 128 MB

well, your hardware seems to be kind of old.
what performance do you get from typical simple benchmarks?
did you enable DMA for your disk(s) ?

test disk performance:
  hdparm -T -t /dev/hde
  bonnie++
  tiobench

test net performance:
  ping
  bing
  scp large_file other_box:
  netcat

what does "top" or "vmstat 1" say while the sync is running,
cpu usage?

> I'm using drbd 0.6.11
> below is my conf file

you should use 0.6.12
.11 was a quick fix for some problem with prior versions, but introduced
an other bug. 0.6.12 was the fix for the fix, about one week later...

or use 0.6.12+cvs, see drbd.org.

	Lars Ellenberg