[DRBD-user] "syncer" crash when doing full resync

Carson Gaspar carson at taltos.org
Fri Jul 2 19:10:15 CEST 2004

--On Friday, July 02, 2004 17:51:06 +0200 Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb at suse.de>
wrote:

>> > The crash happens while dereferencing req->bh
>>
>> One of these days in the future, we really need to consider whether we
>> should dereference network data so directly, as drbd is running on
>> unprivileged ports, and in theory some user could exploit this on one of
>> the peer nodes...
>>
>> (A workaround for the paranoid would be to use privileged ports.)

(Priv ports + remote packets) != security

The _only_ thing priv ports buy you is preventing local users from binding
the port before you do and blocking your app.

_All_ data you receive from the network must be considered toxic waste, and
treated appropriately. But anyone who cares should already realize that
drbd has near-zero security, and protect it appropriately (x-over cables,
SSH/SSL tunels, IPSEC, firewalls, etc.).

Hmmm... if I run drbd over a private net using x-over cables, is it immune
from attack from the public net (assuming I prevent forged packets)? How
early does it compare the peer IP address with the expected peer IP address?

--
Carson