Note: "permalinks" may not be as permanent as we would like,
direct links of old sources may well be a few messages off.
Quoting Peter Stamfest <peter at stamfest.at>: > > On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Dave Dunkin wrote: > > > On Jan 26, 2004, at 4:26 PM, Lars Ellenberg wrote: > > > > > / 2004-01-26 15:48:14 -0600 > > > \ dave at gottathink.com: > > >> Quoting Lars Ellenberg <Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com>: > > >> > > >>> / 2004-01-25 23:38:08 -0800 > > >>> \ Dave Dunkin: > > >>>> I've got drbd set up on two RedHat 9 nodes with 60GB software RAID1 > > >>>> devices I'm trying to mirror. I started it up for the first time > > >>>> and it > > >>>> started with a SyncAll from the primary to the secondary at around > > >>>> 10MB/sec (on a private 100Mbps network). Then at almost exactly 30% > > >>>> though the sync, the sync speed dropped to an abysmal 500KB/sec. > > >>>> I've > > >>>> tried upping the minimum and setting the nice level, but nothing > > >>>> seems > > >>>> to improve the situation. I tried stopping and restarting the sync > > >>>> process and the same thing happened at 30%. > > > I am repeating myself (have a look at the list archive, it might even be a > FAQ): I have seen this with cheap NICs. Switched to 3com cards and > everything went fine afterwards. This was a long time ago (0.6.1_pre > something). I do not know if this problem has ever been identified and > solved and I do not know if DRBD is to blame for it at all. > > I never saw this problem with anything else than DRBD, though - this might > be because only DRBD was able to saturate the link for long enough for the > problem to appear. I'm using the built in ethernet port on the machines. They are VA-Linux 1000s, which are really rebranded IBM Netfinity 4000Rs. The use Intel Pro Ethernet 10/100 (I think it's the i82557/i82558 chipset, but I don't have access to the machine at the moment). I do have the cards set up to be bonded for redundancy. I'll try disabling that and see if it helps. Dave