[DRBD-user] drbd heartbeat help

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Sat Jan 24 10:01:09 CET 2004

/ 2004-01-24 08:06:32 +0100
\ Dominique Chabord:
> > I think having 192.168.1.2 as your "floating" ip while having
> > 192.168.1.{3,4} as your drbd ips is asking for trouble.
> > most likely drbd has problems to bind to the ips it is configured to use.
>
> What kind of trouble would you expect ? Can you tell us more ?
> For a different project, we have just tested drbd between two IP
> floatting addresses (one for primary, the other one for secondary),
> and it works pretty well. Should we expect a bad surprise ?

This was only guessing, and I may well be wrong.
And, the situation is differently, if you use drbd with "floating"
IPs, as you suggest. (Though I don't see why you would do so.)

The possible problem I see is when you use a static IP for drbd
that happens to be in the same "subnet" as one of your floating
IPs, and somthing decides to take down the latter, it may happen
that the static ip vanishes, too...

I just prefer to have clearly separated floating, system immanent,
and administrativ IPs.

	Lars Ellenberg