[DRBD-user] New module build system and Debian kernel-headers

David Krovich dkrovich at csee.wvu.edu
Tue Jan 20 09:04:57 CET 2004

In 0.6.9 there is a changelog entry regarding

  *) New module build system (using kernel source tree build system)

I need to investigate things further, but this is causing a different
behavior then before.  Previously, I was able to build drbd modules
using only a Debian kernel-headers package and then setting LINUX to
something like LINUX=/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.foo.  However, with
this change I now require a full kernel-source tree to build the drbd
module.  I tried setting KSRC=/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.foo, but
that didn't work.  I actually had to get a full kernel source and then
build the drbd module against that.  I'm still investigating things
further on how debian wants to do things.  I read one thread on the
debian mailing list that suggests that the kernel-headers package
should have everything a module would need to build, so I am a bit
confused as to why this isn't working.

As an alternate approach, It looks like I can use a source package to
automatically build a appropriate drbd modules for each stock version
of the debian kernel.  This appears to be how alsa is currently doing
things in debian w/ 2.4.x kernels.  The alsa way makes it nice, you
just apt-get install the appropriate binary alsa-module package for
the kernel you are running and you are good to go.  This approach
would probably be easier for end users, but tougher on me as I'd have
to figure out how to do things this way.  :)