[DRBD-user] mirror config questions for manual failover

george young gry at ll.mit.edu
Tue Jan 20 17:21:17 CET 2004

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 10:06:31 +0100
Francis SOUYRI <francis.souyri at apec.fr> threw this fish to the penguins:
> Hello Georges,
>     What is the output of the "/sbin/drbdsetup /dev/nb1 show" on each node ?
["show" results below]

I don't understand how sync-max got set so low for that device.  It is
the small (1GByte) /db file-system, so I'm not sure it's a serious problem,
but still disturbing.  I can't experiment until tonight -- I'll do a
clean reboot and see.

A more general question:

Given that I want the sysadmin to be able to quickly switch /home
to be primary on pig-db at any time whether:
  pig-app is dead
  pig-app is up and *thinks* its fine
  pig-app is down for some minutes and then boots back *thinking* it is fine

is it better to have pig-app start drbd automatically at boot, or would
it be safer/cleaner to start it only when manually bringing /home back
to pig-app?

And many thanks for all the comments and suggestions from you all!

-- George

pig-db:~ # drbdsetup /dev/nb1 show
Lower device: 48:01   (/dev/rd/c0d0p1)
Disk options:
 disk-size = 1052184 KB
Local address: 10.0.0.114:7789
Remote address: 10.0.0.115:7789
Wire protocol: C
Net options:
 timeout = 6.0 sec
 tl-size = 256            ## Hmmm, does this get calculated from sync-max?
 connect-int = 10 sec
 ping-int = 10 sec
 sndbuf-size = 131070
 sync-min = 200 KB/sec
 sync-max = 250 KB/sec    ## Eeeek! You're right!
 sync-nice = 10

pig-app:~ # drbdsetup /dev/nb1 show
Lower device: 48:03   (/dev/rd/c0d0p3)
Disk options:
 disk-size = 1052184 KB
Local address: 10.0.0.115:7789
Remote address: 10.0.0.114:7789
Wire protocol: C
Net options:
 timeout = 6.0 sec
 tl-size = 5000
 connect-int = 10 sec
 ping-int = 10 sec
 sndbuf-size = 131070
 sync-min = 10240 KB/sec
 sync-max = 102400 KB/sec
 sync-nice = -15
 sync-group = 2

--
"Are the gods not just?"  "Oh no, child.
What would become of us if they were?" (CSL)