[DRBD-user] Some queries

Vic Berdin vic at digi.com.ph
Thu Dec 2 09:51:17 CET 2004

Hi Todd, Thanos, everyone,

Thanks for your replies. I'm now currently using a 0.6.13 release and added
a call to "datadisk" in my heartbeat's haresources (while having a symlink
of datadisk in HB's resources path). I'm no longer using the inittimeout
parameter.
I can see that (almost) everything works automatically now. My configured
partition gets mirrored on the secondary as I add/delete files in the
primary node. I can see disk activity on both nodes (via external HDD LED).
And the data does get mirrored on the secondary if do actual test inspection
by mounting the secondary node's partition (ofcourse after shutting down
drbd ;o)).

Now my problem now is this: simulating a machine failure, I deliberately
power down the primary machine. The secondary now inherits the resources
abandoned by the primary: ldirectord loads and `datadisk start` gets
executed by heartbeat - the secondry now becomes the drbd's primary.

Now, upon turning back "on" the primary node, I notice that /proc/drbd
status on both nodes does not seem to detect the existence of the another:

------------------
On the (resource inherited) node:
0: cs:WFConnection st:Primary/Unknown ns:0 nr:0 dw:12 dr:35 pe:0 ua:0

On the newly restarted node:
0: cs:StandAlone st:Secondary/Unknown ns:0 nr:0 dw:0 dr:0 pe:0 ua:0
------------------

Connection/mirroring will only resume if I manually do a `drbd reconnect` on
the newly restarted (secondary) node. And this action seem to perform a
complete replication of the primary:

version: 0.6.13 (api:64/proto:62)

------------------
0: cs:SyncingAll st:Secondary/Primary ns:0 nr:104517 dw:104517 dr:0 pe:0
ua:0
	[===========>........] sync'ed: 55.1% (87996/192512)K
	finish: 0:02:14h speed: 1,178 (1,034) K/sec

Is this a normal scenario for drbd (or this release)? I will just add some
logic and a call to `drbd reconnect` on my startup scripts if this is indeed
normal. I was expecting that the nodes will automatically start to detect
one another, and resume mirroring activities.
And oh, btw, I'm actually doing these implementation/tests using a volatile
file system for /var/lib/drbd. Thus, doing a complete reboot on a node
cleans out its /var/lib/drbd when it restarts. I'm guessing there are also
side effects on using a volatile /var/lib/drbd?

TIA - Vic