[DRBD-user] Some queries

Vic Berdin vic at digi.com.ph
Wed Dec 1 12:32:28 CET 2004

Hi everyone,

I'm trying out drbd-0.6.12 on two systems both running Linux-2.4.22. The
setup went OK as `drbdsetup /dev/nb0 replicate` tests shows that the primary
node's partition indeed gets replicated on the configured partition of the
other node. The same scenario is also evident upon doing a `drbd start` on
each of the nodes (after a fresh boot).

Now that manual invocation of the "sync'ing" tools work, my queries are as
follows:

1. I'm wondering on how/when will drbd automatically synch the secondary
node, if I do not invoke the tools manually (note that I'm using a 0.6.12
release).

I'm also trying out the "inittimeout" parameter on my configs, in order to
avoid the wait-with-user-intervention state during system startup. And I
believe this is where "incon-degr-cmd" should come in if I wish to automate
my synch'ing. Is this a sane way to go?

2. How can I instruct drbd NOT to synch the whole partition (device), but
only parts where changes occurred? Or is this possible with drbd?

3. My final plan with drbd is to use it along with heartbeat, and make it
serve as an HA/failover database mirror. It seems to me that extending the
drbd bash script, or creating additional scripts/tools and placing them on
heartbeats resources *should* do fine. I googled however, that linux-mon
*is/seems* needed in order to implement a more robust failover cluster. Can
anyone shed some more light on how to properly implement my target
HA/failover mirroring plans using drbd? Any links are very much welcome.

TIA - Vic