[DRBD-user] Kernel Oops, NULL pointer dereference during sync [was: Sync speed 0 K/sec]

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Aug 31 18:14:38 CEST 2004

/ 2004-08-31 10:03:11 -0400
\ Dan Didier:
> > can you reproduce this easily?
>
> I can reproduce this very easily.  Every time I try to bring up the
> second node we get this problem.

great.
reproducible bugs have a considerably reduced lifetime :)

in drbd_config.h, please define DBG_ALL_SYMBOLS,
and define DUMP_MD 3 instead of the default 2, so it generates more
kernel messages.

if you can cope with even more logging, you could even define
"DUMP_EACH_PACKET" ... but such logs get huge, so you better provoke
that crash soonish :-)

> > if so, can you reproduce it still with a fresh svn checkout / 0.7.3 ?
>
> I can't even compile it - here is what I get:
>
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-31.9/include/linux/mm_inline.h:28: warning:
> initialization makes integer from pointer without a cast
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-31.9/include/linux/mm_inline.h:28: initializer

well.
mm_inline.h line 28 an my version of that rh-kernel source is just
"GPL_HEADER()", which is a macro defined in module.h, and expands to
static const char cpyright[]="This software may be freely redistributed "
	"under the terms of the GNU General Public License.";

so the following error messages don't make any sense to me.
and my suse gcc has no problems to compile svn drbd against
redhat kernel sources. are you sure you use the correct compiler?

> element is not computable at load time
> make[3]: *** [drbd_worker.o] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/src/drbd-0.7.3/drbd'
> make[2]: *** [_mod_/var/src/drbd-0.7.3/drbd] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-31.9'
> make[1]: *** [kbuild] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/src/drbd-0.7.3/drbd'
> make: *** [all] Error 2

> > can you reproduce this with some 2.6. kernel?
>
> Haven't tried this yet.  Would I be better off trying the default
> redhat9 kernel?

well, I thought you DO use the default redhat kernel?
yes, please try several kernels, and see what that may change.

	Lars Ellenberg