[DRBD-user] tough mount problem in fstab, help!

flyneo at cogeco.ca flyneo at cogeco.ca
Thu Aug 26 22:46:37 CEST 2004

Hi Bernd,

Sorry for the misleading information and thank you for the reply.

My situation is: I need to backup some subdirectories in /var through drbd between two identical machines. My /var
directory is a seperate partition
(hda6). So if I want to backup /var/www, what I have done is:
* add a resource block in drbd.conf like
on node1{
  device = /dev/nb0
  disk = /dev/hda6
}

* add a line to /etc/fstab as:
/dev/nb0    /var/www    ext3   defaults,noauto   0   0

Then I am trying to start drbd by 'drbd start', it gave a error message that 'lower device(/dev/hda6) is already
mounted'. So I thought if I should umount /dev/hda6 by removing the line 'LABEL=/var /var ext3 defaults 1 2' from my
/etc/fstab file. However, this would cause more error since some startup scripts will use directories in /var while /var
didn't exist anymore at startup.

The primary machine is a legal system, so I can't do any change to the partition nor do I move the directories.

Any suggestion for me? Thanks a lot!

Dong