[DRBD-user] drbd howto... [Simple Question]

Giuliano Gigli tg2004_ha at yahoo.com.br
Mon Aug 23 18:04:55 CEST 2004

Hello Lars,

I read the README and INSTALL files on the drbd package.

I also take a loot at the upgrades documents and also the drbd.conf example.

Well... From what i understand, the hda7 for example is the lower level device... where the data will be stored.

I saw that after setup... we have to mount the /dev/drbdX ... thats ok!

the /dev/drbdX is the block device... that will be resposable to transfer the data between the 2 nodes....

Well.... here is my setup :

Slackware 9.0
Node 1 - I will use /dev/drbd1 --> /dev/hda7
Node 2 - /dev/drbd1 --> /dev/hda7

Well ....  from what i understand .... i have to mknod the block device... set the drbd.conf file on both computers... and then start it out.

The low device /dev/hda7 dont have to be mounted right ? only formated.

Well ... i will make it now on the afternoon.... i will start it from 0 ... will make the linux installation ... and follow the steps from the docs...

I´ll send more questions after i try it again!

Thanks,

Giuliano

Lars Ellenberg <Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com> wrote:
/ 2004-08-23 10:08:39 -0300
\ Giuliano Gigli:
> So i got a small question !
>
> I will use my /dev/hda7 for the replication. This device is formated with ext3.
>
> My question is : It should be mounted when i type the drbdadm up all ?
>
> Or it have to be unmounted ?
>
> Ok ... i will use Slackware 9 or 10 for this and DRBD 0.7.2 .
>
> So .. after i create the block devide /dev/drbdX ... i just need to
> configure the drbd.conf and type the drbdadm up all ?

understand the concept of, and difference between,
file system and block device.

read the drbd documentation.
understand the documentation.

if you think it is misleading, unclear, incomplete, or even plain wrong,
tell us where, and why you think so.
then we can improve it.

read README, INSTALL, and upgrade-*
in the drbd tarball/svn checkout/wherever.
really read the upgrade-* files! don't miss it...

have a look at
http://www.drbd.org
http://www.drbd.org/drbd-article.html
http://www.linux-mag.com/2003-11/drbd_01.html
http://www.linux-mag.com/2003-11/toc.html
http://linuxha.trick.ca/DRBD_2fFAQ

the article refers to drbd 0.6, so the drbd.conf and some minor things have
changed, but the concept should be clear.

Lars Ellenberg

http://mail.yahoo.com