AW: [DRBD-user] Re: loop device and eth0 loop-back + latest version

Martin Bene martin.bene at icomedias.com
Sat Apr 24 09:24:07 CEST 2004

Hi Nuno,

> Still, Greg, NFS/SMB seemed not-applicable, as I'm not using a third
> storage device (so I can "import" the filesystem to each node).
> What are you thinking, exactly?
> You are right about the standard way, when using a third device.
> But for sync'ing both disks (each one being local to each
> node), I'd need
> something like a cross-exported share. Like:
> server1# mount -t nfs server2:/home /home
> server2# mount -t nfs server1:/home /home
> And this does not make sense to me. Am I missing something here?

Yes: I think the NFS solution is the best way to do what you need, no,
it doesn't need more than two servers.

* Take the partition you want to use for /home.
* Set it up as a drbd device, with a mountpoint /mnt/home_server
* set up heartbeat to manage an IP address, the drbd device and an NFS
server that exports /mnt/home_server
* NFS mount cluster_ip:/mnt/home_server on /home on both nodes.

You'll have to fiddle with your startup scripts to make sure that
mounting of /home occurs only after both heartbeat startup heartbeat
resource startup have finished.

Hope this helps,

Martin