[DRBD-user] Re: loop device and eth0 loop-back + latest version

Nuno Tavares nunotavares at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 23 19:54:27 CEST 2004

Em Fri, 23 Apr 2004 19:22:37 +0200, Lars Ellenberg escreveu:

>> I really liked what you are doing here, but I need a solution *fast*.
>> Still can't get drbd 0.6.12/0.7 to work, but had not much time to
>> experiment. I'd like to do it this evening. The problem is that I
>> setup both servers and cat /proc/cpu keeps showing 1: has unConfigured.
>> iptables is off. I had to do something wrong, will look at it tonight.
>
> proc/cpu ? 1: has unConfigure ? what are you talking about ??

Ermmm my mistake. I meant /proc/drbd. I can't remember if it was 0.6.12 or
0.7.

>> What I need is some solution that gets this possible: I have server1
>> and server2, both with a local filesystem subtree, which should be
>> identical in both servers and sync'ed in real time (as fast as
>> possible).
>
> Nope.  This is not what DRBD is supposed to do.

I'll assume your negative answer was in reply to my mention of "filesystem".
Joining your explanation at the top with the below paragraph, I think it
is *not* my solution, only because secondary can't be mounted, right?

>> Suppose this: you login to
server1 and "echo SOMETHING
> ~/TEST".
>> Logout and immediately login to server2. When you do "cat ~/TEST" you
>> may see 1) that the file exists and 2) look at its contents
>> (SOMETHING).
>
> use a shared filesystem, NFS, SMB, anything. put it on a fileserver.
> fileserver itself may be a HA-cluster, build with DRBD or any other
> shared storage.
>
> 	Lars Ellenberg

That is *exactly* what I'm avoiding - having a 3rd server.
Even having server1 exporting to server2 and/or vice-versa is not
applicable.

--
-
Nuno Tavares