[DRBD-user] A Summary of LVM snapshots with DRBD

Michael Hoennig michael at hostsharing.net
Thu Apr 8 13:57:30 CEST 2004

Hi Lars,

>	*You can do so already*,
>	by using LVM2 on top of DRBD.
>
>So implementing additional hacks and hooks is just very low priority.

a setup which we have in mind would be something like this:

Host HA:
- Virtual Host VA mirrors to HB.
- Virtual Host VB mirrors to HC.
- Virtual Host VC mirrors to HD.

Host HB:
- Virtual Host VD mirrors to HA.
- Virtual Host VE mirrors to HC.
- Virtual Host VF mirrors to HD.

Host HC:
- Virtual Host VG mirrors to HA.
- Virtual Host VH mirrors to HB.
- Virtual Host VI mirrors to HD.

Host HD:
- Virtual Host VJ mirrors to HA.
- Virtual Host VK mirrors to HB.
- Virtual Host VL mirrors to HC.

LVM would make sense to be able to assign different sizes to the Virtual
Hosts. But in a setup LVM2 on top of DRBD it could not work.  It would
be needed the other way around.

But it is only a wild idea anyway.  Also because the setup could be very
confusing and thus error prone.

       Michael