[DRBD-user] DRBD and LVM Snapshot with 2 nodes configuration

Lars Marowsky-Bree lmb at suse.de
Thu Apr 8 00:24:01 CEST 2004

On 2004-04-07T23:54:25,
   Lars Ellenberg <Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com> said:

>  consistent and clean from the file system point of view.
>  The applications runnig on top of it (SQL databases and so on)
>  Probably have even more problems to provide not only some
>  consistent, but a *clean* view of their data...

If the application does not have a consistent snapshot on disk at all
times, it's not a database. No current database gets that wrong, the
journaling et al are they key feature, and it would be beyond
tremendously broken. If the application database designer is not using
transactions correctly in the application, he ought to be taken out and
shot.

So yes, they'll restore a clean snapshot in >95% of the cases, and is
why drbd is so stringent about write ordering ;-)

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb at suse.de>

--
High Availability & Clustering	      \ ever tried. ever failed. no matter.
SUSE Labs			      | try again. fail again. fail better.