[drbd-mc] Issues with LCMC v1.3.23

Rasto Levrinc rasto.levrinc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 10:08:29 CEST 2012

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Caspar Smit <c.smit at truebit.nl> wrote:
> Hi Rasto,
>
> First of all, thanks for fixing the issues I had in v1.3.16
>
> Here are a couple more for v1.3.23
>
> 1) From the changelog:
>
> PCMK: add -Arfn options to crm_mon
>
> The -A parameter code was merged into the pacemaker tree at a late
> stage in the 1.0.x branch and from 1.1.2 upwards. so not all pacemaker
> installations support this.
> My debian squeeze installation (pacemaker package from stable
> repository) doesn't support the -A parameter so the crm_mon status
> screen in LCMC displays "error"
>
> Maybe you could make a check if crm_mon supports the -A parameter and
> then use it (because it is quite handy) and otherwise don't use it.

Hi Caspar,

I've uploaded new version to http://sourceforge.net/projects/lcmc/files/testing/
where this problems should be fixed.

> 2) Changing IDE disk to Virtio disk results in unbootable VM.
>
> I created a VM using LCMC with an IDE Disk.
>
> At a later point I wanted to change to IDE disk to a Virtio disk.
>
> I changed it and then the result is the following error:
>
> error: Failed to start domain test1
> error: internal error process exited while connecting to monitor: open
> /dev/kvm: No such file or directory
> Could not initialize KVM, will disable KVM support
> PCI: devfn 24 not available for rtl8139, in use by virtio-blk-pci
> Error initializing device rtl8139
>
> I checked the differences in the libvirt XML between a virtio created
> VM and an IDE created vm and noticed the following:
>
> When I change IDE disk to VirtIO disk the only thing that is changed is:
>
> <target dev='hda' bus='ide'/>
> ->
> <target dev='hda' bus='virtio'/>
>
> What needs to be changed also is the controller for the disk
>
> IDE disk has:
>
> <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' unit='0'/>
>
> Virtio disk has:
>
> <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/>
>
> When I change this line in the XML (after switching from IDE disk to
> VirtIO disk in LCMC) the error is gone and the VM works again, now
> with a virtIO disk.

Fixed, the address configuration is now generated properly.

> 3) Installing a Windows Vista/7/2008/R2 VM on VirtIO disk doesn't work
>
> I created a VM with two IDE CD-ROM's (iso's) and a VirtIO disk (LV)
>
> First CD-ROM is windows 2008 installer
> Second CD-ROM are the windows virtio drivers (for use during install)
>
> During install you will have to select which disk to install W2K8 to,
> and need to load VirtIO drivers to be able to see the disk (which
> works)
>
> BUT the installer keeps complaining it cannot install to the disk with
> this error:
>
> 'Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware
> may not support booting to this disk. Ensure the disk's controller is
> enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.'
>
> This can be fixed by adding the following to the Libvirt XML in the
> <os> section:
>
> Instead of only specifying
>
>     <boot dev='cdrom'/>
>
> It is needed to specify cdrom AND hd as next boot device:
>
>     <boot dev='cdrom'/>
>     <boot dev='hd'/>
>
> When the <boot dev='hd'/> line is added Windows Vista/7/2008/R2 can be
> installed to a VirtIO disk.

I've added there "2nd boot device" for this purpose.

There was one more thing iin your email, where you couldn't
enter the lvm device. Normally if the device is active at least on
one node, it should appear in the pull-down list, unless the both
DRBDs are secondary. I've made the source device field now editable.

Rasto

--
Dipl.-Ing. Rastislav Levrinc
rasto.levrinc at gmail.com