[drbd-mc] Issues with LCMC v1.3.23

Caspar Smit c.smit at truebit.nl
Thu Aug 9 15:39:38 CEST 2012

Hi Rasto,

First of all, thanks for fixing the issues I had in v1.3.16

Here are a couple more for v1.3.23

1) From the changelog:

PCMK: add -Arfn options to crm_mon

The -A parameter code was merged into the pacemaker tree at a late
stage in the 1.0.x branch and from 1.1.2 upwards. so not all pacemaker
installations support this.
My debian squeeze installation (pacemaker package from stable
repository) doesn't support the -A parameter so the crm_mon status
screen in LCMC displays "error"

Maybe you could make a check if crm_mon supports the -A parameter and
then use it (because it is quite handy) and otherwise don't use it.

2) Changing IDE disk to Virtio disk results in unbootable VM.

I created a VM using LCMC with an IDE Disk.

At a later point I wanted to change to IDE disk to a Virtio disk.

I changed it and then the result is the following error:

error: Failed to start domain test1
error: internal error process exited while connecting to monitor: open
/dev/kvm: No such file or directory
Could not initialize KVM, will disable KVM support
PCI: devfn 24 not available for rtl8139, in use by virtio-blk-pci
Error initializing device rtl8139

I checked the differences in the libvirt XML between a virtio created
VM and an IDE created vm and noticed the following:

When I change IDE disk to VirtIO disk the only thing that is changed is:

<target dev='hda' bus='ide'/>
->
<target dev='hda' bus='virtio'/>

What needs to be changed also is the controller for the disk

IDE disk has:

<address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' unit='0'/>

Virtio disk has:

<address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/>

When I change this line in the XML (after switching from IDE disk to
VirtIO disk in LCMC) the error is gone and the VM works again, now
with a virtIO disk.

3) Installing a Windows Vista/7/2008/R2 VM on VirtIO disk doesn't work

I created a VM with two IDE CD-ROM's (iso's) and a VirtIO disk (LV)

First CD-ROM is windows 2008 installer
Second CD-ROM are the windows virtio drivers (for use during install)

During install you will have to select which disk to install W2K8 to,
and need to load VirtIO drivers to be able to see the disk (which
works)

BUT the installer keeps complaining it cannot install to the disk with
this error:

'Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware
may not support booting to this disk. Ensure the disk's controller is
enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.'

This can be fixed by adding the following to the Libvirt XML in the
<os> section:

Instead of only specifying

    <boot dev='cdrom'/>

It is needed to specify cdrom AND hd as next boot device:

    <boot dev='cdrom'/>
    <boot dev='hd'/>

When the <boot dev='hd'/> line is added Windows Vista/7/2008/R2 can be
installed to a VirtIO disk.

Kind regards,

Caspar