[drbd-mc] Using DRBD MC with sudo will leave cleartext password visable with ps -ef

Kulovits Christian - OS ITSC Christian.Kulovits at austrian.com
Mon Dec 20 11:11:23 CET 2010

Hello,

We are using DRBD MC for some Linux Clusters, and it is a very great tool.
We are not allowed to login with root account to our systems for admin purposes and so we use the sudo facility from the mc. We have su and sudo configured to get used without password for our admins, but when using the mc we could see the cleartext password with the ps -ef command:

user  13768 29341  0 10:50 pts/2    00:00:00 bash -c trap - SIGPIPE;echo "PASSWORD"|sudo -S -p '' bash -c "trap - SIGPIPE; { nice -n 19 /usr/local/bin/drbd-gui-helper-0.8.6 hw-info-lazy; } 2>&1" 2>/dev/null

Is there another way to establish required authority, eg. sudo without password, or su -l (without password)?

Regards, Christian

Austrian Airlines AG, Office Park 2, P.O. Box 100, 1300 Vienna-Airport, Austria, registered office: Vienna, registered with Vienna Commercial Court under FN 111000k, DVR 0091740. This e-mail is confidential and is subject to disclaimers. Details can be found at: http://www.austrian.com/disclaimer.