[Drbd-dev] Checksum based resync block size

Robert Altnoeder robert.altnoeder at linbit.com
Thu Jun 27 12:22:11 CEST 2019

On 6/26/19 9:20 PM, Eric Wheeler wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jun 2019, Lars Ellenberg wrote:
>
>> As our in-sync/out-of-sync bitmap tracks 4k blocks,
>> we want to compare 4k checkesums.
>>
>> Yes, that generates "a lot" of requests, and if these are not merged by
>> some IO scheduler on the lower layers, that may seriously suck.
>>
>> make_ov_request() is what generates the online-verify requests.
>>
>> What we potentially could do is issue the requests in larger chunks,
>> like (1 MiB) to the backends, then calculate and communicate the
>> checksum per each 4k, as well as the result.
> What if it were to calculate 1MiB chunks (configurable) and then
> invalidate all 4k bitmap entries in that 1MiB range if the hash
> mismatches?

Is your intention to reduce the number of packets with checksums that
are being sent, and/or the number of checksum comparisons for the same
amount of data?

Both could have a positive impact on performance, but the question is,
whether the difference is big enough to be relevant. On the other hand,
hashing more data per checksum increases the chance of hash collisions.

br,
Robert