[Drbd-dev] howto enable auto-promote

Roland Kammerer roland.kammerer at linbit.com
Wed May 20 14:48:36 CEST 2015

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 02:25:41PM +0200, Dietmar Maurer wrote:

> > Auto-promote is enabled. As you can see it failed, and it can only fail
> > if it was enabled... Your problem is the "multiple primaries" thingy.
> > Please tell us which drbdmanage commands you executed.
>
> What commands? The idea is that 'auto-promote' works without any commands.
> So I just start the kvm VM on the second node, which tries to open the device.
>
> So I tried to enable allow-two-primaries somehow. Adding it
> to /etc/drbd.d/global_common.conf did not help.

You probably forgot to "drbdadm adjust"...

> Then I tried:
>
> # drbdadm net-options --allow-two-primaries=yes vm-100-disk-1
>
> on each node, and it seems to work now.
>
> So where is the right place to set allow-two-primaries for
> volumes managed by drbdmanage?

Passing these "generic drbd options" to drbdmanage is work in progress.
I expect it to be finished for the next release.

> And why is that disabled by default?

Oh, because you really really have to know if two primiaries are a good
idea. Allowing multiple primaries is definitely nothing that should be
enabled by default.

Regards, rck

Again: Please no TO/CC, and please ask such questions on drbd-user.