[Drbd-dev] cluster initialization with drbdmanage

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Wed May 20 11:26:27 CEST 2015

Hi all,

The drbdmanage installation HowTo (README) contains the following instaructions:

>Cluster initialization (first drbdmanage cluster node only):
>    *  On the first node, issue the following command to initialize a new
>       drbdmanage cluster:
>         drbdmanage init <ipaddress>

This works. Now I want to add the second node:

>Adding nodes to a drbdmanage cluster:
>    *  On a node of the existing drbdmanage cluster, issue the following
>       command to prepare the cluster for integrating a new node:
>         drbdmanage new-node <nodename> <ipaddress>
>       ... where <nodename> is the node name of the node, and <ipaddress>
>           is the IP address of the node that will join the cluster
>       This command will also generate the command line that needs to be
>       entered on the new node to make it join the cluster

Now I run:

# drbdmanage new-node hatest2 192.168.3.202
Operation completed successfully
Operation completed successfully

Executing join command on hatest2 using ssh.
You are going to join an existing drbdmanage cluster.
CAUTION! Note that:
  * Any previous drbdmanage cluster information may be removed
  * Any remaining resources managed by a previous drbdmanage installation
    that still exist on this system will no longer be managed by drbdmanage

Confirm:

  yes/no: yes
  Logical volume ".drbdctrl" successfully removed
  Logical volume ".drbdctrl" created.
You want me to create a v09 style flexible-size internal meta data block.
There appears to be a v09 flexible-size internal meta data block
already in place on /dev/drbdpool/.drbdctrl at byte offset 4190208

Do you really want to overwrite the existing meta-data?
*** confirmation forced via --force option ***

Do you want to proceed?
*** confirmation forced via --force option ***
NOT initializing bitmap
md_offset 4190208
al_offset 4157440
bm_offset 4153344

Found some data

 ==> This might destroy existing data! <==
initializing activity log
Writing meta data...
New drbd meta data block successfully created.
Operation completed successfully

I have two questions now:

1.) Where is the command line to join the node (mentioned in the README above)?

2.) Does this really destroy all existing resources? If so, how can I add
nodes to a cluster which already have existing resources?

Or is there another way to initialize the cluster?