[Drbd-dev] [GIT PULL] drbd-8.4 for mainline

Jens Axboe axboe at kernel.dk
Wed Aug 24 19:54:07 CEST 2011

On 2011-08-24 19:49, Philipp Reisner wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 24 August 2011, 19:02:20 schrieb Jens Axboe:
>> On 2011-08-24 18:00, Kyle Moffett wrote:

>>> Hm...
>>>
>>> That's a lot of patches (including some protocol changes) that have not
>>> yet been reviewed by other kernel developers.
>>>
>>> By officially releasing the kernel and user-space bits and then posting
>>> them to LKML and expecting them to be merged as-is, you are not really
>>> following the linux kernel development process.
>>>
>>> Some of the reverts and commit messages make me concerned that your
>>> patch series has bisection issues; are you sure it compiles and runs
>>> after every patch?
>>>
>>> I'm obviously not anywhere in the maintenance chain for this code, but
>>> it does look really funny.
>>
>> That was my exact response a few weeks back, but I don't recall seeing
>> anything until this email today. Philipp, has this been reviewed at all
>> outside your internal group?
>
> Yes, I requested review on LKML. See here: https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/8/8/179

You are not going to get any reviews this way. You need to make it a lot
easier for people to review patches individually. Requiring that people
pull your repo, then look at each change in there, is not going to work.
That's a lot of work up front. And how do you respond to code? Paste
into an email, copy/paste recepients, send. Even more work. End result,
nobody will EVER review such a posting as the above. I see you got one
guy to write back with an error, which I think is probably more a
testament to the user base than anything else.

So, please do this right. The email you sent is perfect for a 0/N header
email, then each patch must follow as a reply to that. There's git
send-email to help you with this. If you haven't used it before, I'd
advise you to do a dry-run or two to your own email address to ensure
that it produces the right result. When it does, then send it off to
lkml and myself. Then I too will see reviews and have a better chance of
judging whether this is mergeable now or not.

--
Jens Axboe