[Drbd-dev] New Features

Morey Roof moreyroof at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 00:28:19 CEST 2008

Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 10:19:03AM -0600, Morey Roof wrote:
>
>> I have been programming professionally for about 12 years with C/C++
>> in various system.  I have worked on various parts of Linux for
>> companies but I never submitted work to be included until recently.
>> So I am a bit new to the get stuff out there model, but I am quite
>> experienced working on very large and complex projects.
>>
>> What has allowed me to start working on some open source projects
>> recently is the move to a job for a college where such work is
>> welcomed and encouraged instead of the traditional business models
>> where everything is a closely guarded secret.  We have been using DRBD
>> for a while and I have found that there are several itches I would
>> like to scratch, so to speak.
>>
>> Let me know if you need more information.
>>

> sounds promising.
>
> do you want to discuss some of the itches?
>
> 	Lars

The first item on the list is a write back cache.  Now don't run
screaming to hills yet.  In our setup we have the two nodes in two
different buildings which are feed by different power supplies from the
city grid.  The machines themselves have dual power supplies which each
power supply going to it's own UPS and circuit.  So, we have a good
redundant power supply setup.  So, I was thinking about creating a
caching system in DRBD to allow for dedicating some of the server's RAM
to a large read/write-back cache.  In the event of communication failure
between the peers I wanted it to flush the entire cache and then run in
write-through mode and move back to write-back mode after communication
is present again and the resync is finished.

So that is the basic idea.  I was thinking about having it use the
ramdisk system so that you can specify a device that is used as the
cache.  The reason I was thinking about this is that if you happen to
purchase one of those Gigabyte ram HDD that is just like a large battery
backed write cache you could set it as the cache device as well.

What are your thought?

-Morey