[Drbd-dev] larger than 4tb volume status

Federico Grau grauf at rfa.org
Thu Nov 16 16:55:00 CET 2006

On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 09:47:06AM +0100, Philipp Reisner wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 7. November 2006 00:44 schrieb Federico Grau:
> > Hello,
> >
> > What is the plan for supporting volumes larger than 4terabytes, I don't see
> > any mention to that in the svn ROADMAP file.
> >

> Our current business model has two tree steams of revenue in the DRBD area
>
>  * Support contracts
>  * Doing projects, workshops and consulting in the DRBD area
>  * Selling DRBD+ licenses
>
> Wile keeping the basis technology open source...
>
> In case you have two times 4TB of storage you spent already quite some
> money on hard disks. In that case we expect you to support DRBD with
> buying a DRBD+ license. See http://www.linbit.com/en/drbd/drbd-plus/2/

Thank you for the response Phil,

While I respect your business model, part of our organizations IT plan is not
to get trapped into subscription based technologies.  This is why we choose
(and support financially and time-wise) Free Software based solutions.

A couple years ago 4TB was quite large, but with terabyte hard drives soon to
hit the market that is no longer the case.  Is there a roadmap or a list
changes on what needs to be upgraded on DRBD so that it can support more that
4TB or does someone from the community need to compile this?

regards,
donfede

--
Federico Grau