[Drbd-dev] lock for reading device state

Cristian Zamfir zamf at dcs.gla.ac.uk
Thu Dec 7 14:52:15 CET 2006

Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> / 2006-12-06 17:22:43 +0000
> \ Cristian Zamfir:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am using drbd to implement xen block device migration.  Right now I
>> am parsing /proc/drbd to find out if the drives are synchronized and I
>> can migrate them.
>
> you talk about drbd state "Connected, Consistent",
> or what exactly are you parsing?

Yes, indeed, I am parsing these values: "cs:Connected
st:Secondary/Primary ld:Consistent"

>> Is there a way to obtain a lock while reading and processing this
>> information and prevent other writes to the primary device?
>
> no. why?

I wrote a script that parses /proc/drbd on the primary node. While I am
running this script, writes to the primary device are still allowed. If
I find that the ld state is "Consistent" then I will make this node
secondary and the peer will become primary.
The problem is when writes happen while my script is making the peer
node primary.

A race situation would be the following:
At moment X, I read /proc/drbd and see the ld state is consistent.
At moment X+1 a write arrives at /dev/drbd1 and the devices are not
consistent any more. They start syncing but this may last longer, for
instance until moment X+5.
Now, at moment X+2, I wrongly believe that the state is still
consistentand I decide to make the peer node primary and thus loose the
write at moment X+1.

Are my assumptions correct so far?

I'm thinking that there are two solutions: One would be to prevent any
writes from Xen's domUs by modifying Xen.
The other would be to be able to hold a lock that prevents writes from
reaching /dev/drbdX and release it after the processing within the
script finishes (that is while I switch the peer device from secondary
to primary).

I haven't looked at drbd's source yet ( I am using 0.7.22 now) but I am
considering implementing this lock within drbd if there is no other
solution available.

As a future project, I am also interested if there is anyone working on
implementing multiple secondary devices. I am interested in having
multiple replicas of the primary node.

I hope this explains more my question.
Thank you very much for your help.

Cristian