[Drbd-dev] Re: [Linux-ha-dev] [RFC] (CRM and) DRBD (0.8) states and transistions, recovery strategies

Andrew Beekhof lists at beekhof.net
Mon Sep 27 14:38:30 CEST 2004

On Sep 27, 2004, at 2:19 PM, Lars Ellenberg wrote:

> / 2004-09-26 20:40:36 +0200
> \ Andrew Beekhof:
>>
>> On Sep 24, 2004, at 11:11 PM, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:

>>> I think the modelling we have so far (with the recent addendum)
>>> captures
>>> this quite nicely for the time being. But of course, it'll help us to
>>> verify this.
>>
>> right.  i also be thinking more about this in the coming days when I
>> start on the incarnations.

>>> I'd structure this somewhat differently into the node states (Up,
>>> Down),
>>> our assumption about the other node (up, down, fenced), Backing Store
>>> states (available, outdated, inconsistent, unavailable), the
>>> connection
>>> (up or down) and the relationship between the GCs (higher, lower,
>>> equal).
>>>
>>> (Whether we are syncing and in what direction seems to be a function
>>> of
>>> that, same whether or not we are blocking or not.)
>>>
>>> It's essentially the same as your list, but it seems to be more
>>> accessible to me. But, it's late ;-)
>>
>> I agree here... restricting the attributes to true inputs (rather than
>> derived values) helps stop my brain going into meltdown trying to
>> absorb the matrix :)  I could also imagine that it makes your life
>> easier if you decide to change how you decide something like syncing
>> direction later on.
>
> ok.
> I'll try again, and maybe create a dot file while I'm at it :)

I think you'll find that a helps a lot (I know it helped me with the
CRM's)

> even though my "states" are not actually "derived".
> but maybe only "obvious" to the "insider" (me).

I think it depends on the POV you take and how you break it up...
I would say "syncing" is a state, but the direction is derived and who
we and the other side are (master/slave/...) are also inputs.
Otherwise you need states for every combination and (at least in the
CRM) I didn't find that gave me much (except for a really huge .dot
file :)

> so, for the time being, could you please have a look at
>  http://wiki.trick.ca/linux-ha/DRBD/StateMachine
>
> and maybe comment it.

sure thing

> 	lge