[Drbd-dev] user interface test of drbd.conf

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut at wollmersdorfer.at
Thu Oct 21 14:36:16 CEST 2004

Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> / 2004-10-20 18:17:27 +0200
> \ Helmut Wollmersdorfer:

>>wfc-timeout
[...]
>>100000 valid passed

>>Problem description: Very high, maybe senseless values are accepted.

> should we limit it to three days?

Seems very high for a HA-System. On the other hand maybe someone wants
the system to wait for a whole weekend.

3 days = 259200 seconds. I would like an easier to remember plain value
like 100000, 200000 or 300000.

> I don't get the next sentence:

>>From my experience as tester I will not expect, that _any_ values will
>>work correctly without "dry-run".

> hm?

Very easy explanation:
As we all know, usally numbers represented in text are converted to an
easier to handle representation inside a program. This can be hex,
decimal packed, floating etc. and mostly will be of fixed length. Even
bignums will have an upper limit (e.g. 64Kdigits). If there is no check
for a maximum value at input, funny things can happen in program logik
afterwards: overruns, skip to negative values, truncated values, which
possible could cause crazy program behaviour.

I do not aspect many of these errors, as the bug rate of drbd is very
low (congratulations!) and at minor level.

> well, we have had a bugzilla, but we did not use it.
> and it would be very fast very heavily out of date.
> do you want to keep it up-to-date,
> and kick Phillip or me every now and then?

Yeah. But it needs a minimum of cooperation from developers. E.g. such
messages like "solved, ready for retest", "won't solve", priorities etc.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer