[Drbd-dev] Re: [john.cagle@hp.com: FW: device number request for drbd]

Lars Marowsky-Bree lmb@suse.de
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 12:32:21 +0200

On 2004-08-19T11:15:41,
   Philipp Reisner <philipp.reisner@linbit.com> said:

> I will look into it, probabely it is easy to do... [I can not remeber
> what we changed there...]

I'm also sweet-talking our maintenance crew because I really want to
avoid that ;-)

> BTW: I thought that RPMs have dependencies too. Why is it not possible
>      to express something like
>
>      km_drbd-0.7.1 requires  >=  drbd-0.7.1 (user-package)
>
>      in the dependencies of the kernel module package...

Because YaST2 Online Update does not evaluate these dependencies.
("Updates are not allowed to change package dependencies in a stable
product.")

So, I'm not happy with either the change in drbd nor our online update
system - either one on it's own would be fine, but the combination
thereof is somewhat annoying ;-)

But, there's hope, I think. I'll try to weasle out of that policy. I can
be really good with weasel words. ;)

(I also don't think any drbd using customer would only update the
kernel, but not drbd, or update drbd user-space but not the kernel.
I claim that's a somewhat ridiculous policy in this case...)

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@suse.de>

--
High Availability & Clustering	    \        This space          /
SUSE Labs, Research and Development |       intentionally        |