[DRBD-announce] Clarification about drbd-utils 8.9.0 [Re: drbd-8.4.5rc1.tar.gz]

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Thu May 22 12:34:28 CEST 2014

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 12:00:19PM +0200, Lars Ellenberg wrote:

> This is a release candidate. Please help testing,
> and let us know of any problems or regressions, performance or otherwise.
>
> Thanks,
> 	Lars
>
> Git:
>   http://git.linbit.com/drbd-8.4.git/shortlog/refs/tags/drbd-8.4.5rc1
> Tarballs:
>   http://oss.linbit.com/drbd/8.4/drbd-8.4.5rc1.tar.gz
>   http://oss.linbit.com/drbd/drbd-utils-8.9.0rc1.tar.gz

>   With DRBD module version 8.4.5, we split out the management tools
>   into their own repository at http://git.linbit.com/drbd-utils.git
>   (tarball at http://oss.linbit.com/drbd)
>
>   That started out as "drbd-utils version 8.9.0",
>   and provides compatible drbdadm, drbdsetup and drbdmeta tools
>   for DRBD module versions 8.3, 8.4 and 9 (prereleases as of now).
>
>   Again: to manage DRBD 8.4.5 kernel modules and above,
>   you want drbd-utils >= 8.9.0 from above url.

Users of drbd module and drbd-utils < 8.4.5
*may* chose to upgrade to drbd-utils 8.9.0,
even when keeping their current module version.

Put the oder way around,
if you chose to keep a module version < 8.4.5,
it is OK to keep the corresponding drbd-utils version as well.
Though we recommended to upgrade to drbd-utils 8.9.0 anyways.

Users of drbd module >= 8.4.5
*should* upgrade to drbd-utils 8.9.0
(even though most of it will still work with drbd-utils <= 8.4.4 as well).

Our .rpm package dependencies actually have the module package require
the equivalent drbd-utils version, so that should is in fact a must,
unless you role your own packages, or fiddle with the rpm dependencies.

Our .deb module packages are not that strict,
for reasons I don't remember the details of right now.
Still the recommendation is the same.

People who try to play with drbd 9 pre-releases
*must* use drbd-utils >= 8.9.0.

Thanks,

	Lars

--