philipp.reisner at linbit.com
Mon May 9 18:24:09 CEST 2011
A new major release of DRBD is going into feature freeze mode!
The most noticeable change is the support for multiple replicated
volumes in a single DRBD connection.
Write-ordering is obeyed among all writes in all volumes in a
This feature is really important for users who DRBD for mirroring
over longer distances. (Protocol A).
Please see the changelog for all the other cherries ;)
So far it is intended to build on debian-squeeze, ubuntu-lucid,
RHEL6, SLES11 and SLES11SP1. (Basically kernel 2.6.27 or newer.)
Support for older distributions will follow with future release
Please note: This is a release candidate, not intended for production.
Please help with testing!
* Fixed handling of read errors during online verify
* Go into inconsistent disk state with on-io-error=pass-on policy
* Timeouts for requests processing on the peer (previously that
worked only if the data socket was congested)
* Reworked Linux backward compatibility mechanism
* Conflicting write detection is now based on an interval tree,
removed the hash-tables (necessary for the unlimited BIO sizes)
* Removed the tracing framework
* Support for multiple volumes (minors, block devices) per connection;
up to 65536 volumes per connection supported
* Reduced IO latencies during some state changes (esp. start resync)
* New on disk format for the AL: double capacity; 4k aligned IO; same space
* Multiple AL changes in a single transaction (precondition for
unlimited BIO sizes)
* DRBD no longer imposes any limit on BIO sizes
* Removed DRBD's limits on the number of minor devices
* DRBD's minors can now be removed (not only unconfigured)
* Switched the user space interface form connector to generic netlink
* drbdadm, configuration changes: volume sections; syncer section removed;
bool options got yes/no values, that improves option inheritance;
* drbdsetup: new commands for creating and removing connections
* drbdsetup: new commands for changing disk options while the disk
is attached; ...for changing net options while the connection is
* drbdsetup/drbdadm the wire-protocol is now a regular connection option
* IO freezing/thawing is done on connection (all volumes) level
* fencing is done on connection (all volumes) level
: Dipl-Ing Philipp Reisner
: LINBIT | Your Way to High Availability
: Tel: +43-1-8178292-50, Fax: +43-1-8178292-82
DRBD(R) and LINBIT(R) are registered trademarks of LINBIT, Austria.
More information about the drbd-announce