[DRBD-announce] drbd-0.7.0.tar.gz

Philipp Reisner philipp.reisner at linbit.com
Fri Jul 16 10:56:48 CEST 2004

This opens a new series of stable releases.

0.7.0 (api:74/proto:74)
---
  Drbd-0.7 was actually forked off from drbd-0.6.1 (actually -pre18).

  *) Complete new way of doing resynchronisation. Does no longer need
     to do tricks with the nice value, and delivers very good performace.
  *) Decoupling of role assignment (primary/secondary) from the direction
     of resynchronisation. (Necessary for primary/primary)
  *) All "ack" and "ping" packets now go through the msock.
     (Prerequisite for primary/primary)
  *) Reworked a lot of internals to work with sector_t instead of
     blocknumbers. DRBD works now with XFS, and will be complete
     immune to changes in the block size.
  *) Reworked the tl_ code, the user no longer has to specify the size
     for a preallocated transfer-log.
  *) Improved metadata; Ao the device size is now stored in metadata,
     users no longer need to configure it.
  *) Online resizing via "drbdsetup resize"
  *) Resynchronisation groups "drbdsetup syncer -g"
  *) New (very short!) sys-v init scripts, new userland tool "drbdadm"
  *) Changes to the way we allocate memory. We want to survive hard OOM
     situations. (partially done, partially ongoing work)
  *) Implemented the Activity-Log and the persistent bitmap.

Of course there are a few things that are not as they should be,
the first thing that comes to mind is that a comprehensive
upgrade guide is still missing.

Here is the WARNING for the not so experienced users:

 Upgrading from drbd-0.6.x to drbd-0.7.x is not trivial, and should
 only be done if you _really_ _understand_ how drbd-0.7.x stores
 its metadata.

 We will add the missing upgrade guide, updated .spec files, missing
 translations (this is a hint to people who can do translations) etc...
 in subsequent releases.

The important thing is that from now on roling upgrades will be possible
for all drbd-0.7.x releases.

BTW, next week I am on holiday, and there is no internet on
     the sailing boat :)

-Philipp