[Csync2] csync_check_del broken under PostgreSQL

James Le Cuirot chewi at gentoo.org
Sat Oct 28 00:00:14 CEST 2017

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 13:23:51 +0200
Lars Ellenberg <lars.ellenberg at linbit.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 11:33:55AM +0100, James Le Cuirot wrote:
> > When checking for deleted files recursively, csync2 issues a SQL
> > statement like this.
> >
> > => SELECT filename from file where filename > '/mnt/csync2/portage/app-editors/ng/' and filename < '/mnt/csync2/portage/app-editors/ng0' ORDER BY filename;
> >  filename
> > ----------
> > (0 rows)
> >
> > This never returns anything under PostgreSQL. The behaviour is actually
> > rather odd. Using LIKE gives the result we expect.
> >
> > => SELECT filename FROM file WHERE filename LIKE '/mnt/csync2/portage/app-editors/ng/%';
> >                                filename
> >  /mnt/csync2/portage/app-editors/ng/metadata.xml
> >  /mnt/csync2/portage/app-editors/ng/files
> >  /mnt/csync2/portage/app-editors/ng/files/ng-1.5beta1-ncurses.patch
> >  /mnt/csync2/portage/app-editors/ng/files/ng-1.5beta1-configure.patch
> >  /mnt/csync2/portage/app-editors/ng/Manifest
> >  /mnt/csync2/portage/app-editors/ng/ng-1.5_beta1-r2.ebuild
> > (6 rows)
> >
> > But watch what happens when we change the 0 to a g.
> >
> > => SELECT filename from file where filename > '/mnt/csync2/portage/app-editors/ng/' and filename < '/mnt/csync2/portage/app-editors/ngg' ORDER BY filename;
> >                                filename
> >  /mnt/csync2/portage/app-editors/ng/files
> >  /mnt/csync2/portage/app-editors/ng/files/ng-1.5beta1-configure.patch
> >  /mnt/csync2/portage/app-editors/ng/files/ng-1.5beta1-ncurses.patch
> > (3 rows)
> >
> > It's almost like the / in ng/files isn't used in the comparison. I
> > couldn't find anything in the PostgreSQL documentation specifically
> > about using the <> operators with strings.
>
> What are your locale and collate settings?

My locale and collation is entirely en_GB.UTF-8.

> afaik, = < > compare "collate character units", while LIKE, appart from
> supporting wildcards, compares "byte per byte" when used with literals.
> I may be wrong.
>
> Anyways, maybe alter table ... binary ... helps?
> Or change "TEXT" to "BLOB"?
> Something like that?

This gives the right result:

csync2=> SELECT filename from file where filename::bytea > '/mnt/csync2/portage/app-editors/ng/' and filename::bytea < '/mnt/csync2/portage/app-editors/ng0' ORDER BY filename;

Presumably this is comparing "byte for byte" as you say LIKE does but
then why not just use LIKE in the first place?

> I don't think many installations out there use csync2 with mysql or postgres,
> so it is very likely that there are a number of shortcomings burried in there,
> I'd expect "very long path names" to show problems as well, where "very
> long" may be simply "longer than the default supported unique key length
> on text fields.

I figured that few people use this, especially since you can't specify
the database in the configuration file. I happen to have PostgreSQL
running on both nodes anyway and thought it might be faster than
SQLite.

I gather the unique key length varies but is generally around 2000-3000
characters. I don't expect to have paths that long but thanks for the
heads up. Does SQLite not have such a limit? I couldn't find any
reference to one.

--
James Le Cuirot (chewi)
Gentoo Linux Developer