[Csync2] Syncing multiple local directories.

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Oct 28 22:29:21 CET 2014

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 03:15:32PM +0300, bes wrote:
> csync2 created for other purposes (config sync in the cluster).

That is correct.

> With so
> many files csync2 should be slower than rsync dramatically.

That is incorrect.  Csync2 is used for huge trees, (tens of millions of
files) as well.

Needs to be properly set up for it, though.

Also it solves a different subset of problems than rsync...

> Looks like you need a distributed network file system: glusterfs, ceph,
> etc...

Not sure if that really helps.

But from what I understand, looking for the right tool to get the job
done would be one place to start, yes.

Or going even one step further, and discussing the actual goal,
questioning the current design, maybe ending up with a better design.

> On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Charles Williams <chuck at itadmins.net>
> wrote:
>
> > I will be using lsyncd to watch for the changes and this is a directory
> > structure with thousands of sub-directories and a few 100,000 files
> > (magento, wordpress etc...) and would like something a bit more
> > selective and faster than rsync.

I did not quite understand where csync2 comes into play here at all.

Csync2 is meant to synchronize files (trees) between servers,
not copy around trees inside one server?

Maybe I misunderstood something?

	Lars

--
: Lars Ellenberg