[Csync2] ERROR from peer http0: Identification failed!

Alex Cartwright alexc223 at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 2 15:27:37 CET 2011

G'morning,

I am using (or at least, trying) to use csync2 to sync up some servers
in our cluster. I had previously got it all working, but I recently
reinstalled the OS (Debian Squeeze) on our firewall, which is the
server I did the main syncing from. Since then I am having problems
while doing "csync2 -x" from this host, it simply results in 57 errors
such as:

While syncing file /etc/vim/vimrc:
ERROR from peer http0: Identification failed!

What could be causing this? I don't use SSL simply because I don't
want to right now and for simplicity sake. Here is my config:

nossl * *;

group standard {
        # Standard group that syncs up common configuration
        # that generally all our servers will be using.
        key /etc/csync2.key;
        auto none;

        host fw0;
        host lb0;
        host nas0;
        host http0;

        include /etc/csync2.cfg;

        include /etc/adduser.conf;
        include /etc/apt/sources.list;
        include /etc/bash.bashrc;
        include /etc/gitconfig;
        include /etc/inittab;
        include /etc/issue.net;
        include /etc/skel/*;
        include /etc/vim/vimrc;
}

The only thing I can think of is that I've read csync2 is very fussy
about host names, and the hostname for fw0 is really fw0.example.net,
however all the others such as lb0 their hostname is lb0.cluster ...
could this difference be what is causing it?

Regards,
Alex Cartwright