[Csync2] retry inotify daemon and csync2

Art -kwaak- van Breemen ard+csync2 at telegraafnet.nl
Tue Jan 13 18:53:18 CET 2009

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 04:36:23PM +0100, Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> svn revision 404 adds contrib/csync2id.pl,
> the csync2 inotify daemon.
w00t.
Heh, I've noticed the first problem already:
The inotify is that fast that on incoming updates using inetd,
before the database is updated by that process, the inotify
daemon has already hinted *and* checked the file as being
changed, and dirty.
On the next update it goes back to the originator to find out the
originator has the same file ;-).
So, if you have a cluster of 10 servers or so, a single file
update can result in an explosion of updates :-).

The best way is to fork off the csync2 -i from the inotify
daemon, and while any csync2 -i is running, stop doing any checks.
When the checks run after the -i has finished, it will notice
nothing has changed, and hence no dirty jobs will be created.

I've noticed this when I started the daemon on a slave, that "out
of nothing" had created 400k jobs :-).